Friday, April 11, 2014

The Stones Speak, (Joshua Tree National Park), 35

day 5: a day (or more) of rest

"I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."
~ Yohji Yamamoto


day 4: the finished painting
Although my goal was to finish this painting in one session, it required two. I just couldn't seem to get those shadow rock "folds" looking bulbous-yet-solid. So, I let the oil paints dry long enough to paint on another layer. (This is one of the pleasures of painting in oils; oil paints are very yielding and forgiving.) As I painted, some lesser areas of interest called out for more attention. Overall, I think it works.

This painting is sale in my online store (with more photos too): https://www.etsy.com/listing/185937454
THE STONES SPEAK, 8x10" original oil painting by puci


day 3: creating the pre-painting composition (using Adobe Photoshop)
I cropped in fairly close (avoiding the "big bum" rock). The most intriguing area to me is where that one stone appears to be folding in on itself, sorta like Jabba The Hutt of StarWars fame.


day 2: capturing the selected image
I took many screen shots of various views within Joshua Tree, and finally settled for this one I found along Indian Cove Road in the Mojave Desert of California USA. Here's the link that will get you there: http://goo.gl/maps/rzOVY


day 1: planning the destination
My husband spotted some amazing land formations while searching for a specific locale within Joshua Tree National Park. He called me to the computer, knowing that I'd be excited by these magnificent stones.




No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about friendly conversation here at A-Street-View-A-Day :) I'd love to hear your travel stories & art thoughts!