Saturday, May 31, 2014

San Francisco Ocean Beach w/ship, 40

5: thoughts between paintings
FOG by Carl Sandburg
The fog comes
on little cat feet.

it sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches and then moves on.


4: the finished painting
I tried my best to use intuition about tone & color relationships, as well as the shapes of the waves as they break. I was going for a tranquil scene yet with some movement. Ocean Beach is rarely this calm, so I took some artistic license with the shoreline.

This painting has been sold.
San Francisco Ocean Beach w/ship, 8.5x11" original oil painting by puci


3: creating the pre-painting composition (using Adobe Photoshop)
Not much difference from the captured image: raised the horizon line and omitted the street light.



2: capturing the selected image
Again, I've included a photo from the live web cam of Ocean Beach. The cam shows the same view of the beach just off Balboa St. and The Great Highway. As a kid, I used to watch those big cargo ships pass along the horizon line --just like this one.



1: planning the destination

Continuing my experimentation with color tones, values & color temperature, this
blog post #40 -and the previous post #39- both feature selected images --not from Google Street Views but rather-- from a streaming-live web camera of Ocean Beach in San Francisco CA, USA: http://ob-kc.com






No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about friendly conversation here at A-Street-View-A-Day :) I'd love to hear your travel stories & art thoughts!