Saturday, July 9, 2016

Three Men on a Bench, Cambodia, 57

The Finished Painting  
The composition was the thing in this painting. Shadows weren't important, nor was a realistic surrounding space --just as long as I didn't have the guys sitting on ...nothing. I normally don't paint so "flat" but this seemed like the thing to do. The surrounding colors emerged as I went along, from trial-&-error. The 1950's painter Ben Shahn (an artist who's design-sense I admire) came to mind as I painted. The middle man's shirt is probably the most minimal but it works, I think, because the shape of it says "shirt" and because of the distinctively light color in the center spot.
 
This painting is for sale, with more photos too: https://www.etsy.com/listing/465758115
3 Men on a Bench, 8x10" oil painting by puci
 
Visual Inspiration
I knew I wanted to get in some practice painting a facial portrait or some figures. I came across lots of people interacting together in a way that would make for an interesting composition. But something about the design of these 3 guys sitting together on a bench captured my attention the most. Too bad (for me anyway) that Google blurs faces in the street views. I gathered some faces online to use as my reference guides
.

Btw, do you notice the red wristbands/strings? This is apparently worn by practitioners of 4 different faiths: Hinduism, Kabbalah, Buddhism and Christianity. "It is believed that the left side of the body is the receiving side, so wearing it on the left side allows the receiving of good fortunes and luck to come to you." ( http://blog.sivanaspirit.com/spiritual-red-string )
Google Street View,Wat Phnom Cambodia

The Destination

I'm traveling with The Virtual Paintout group again.This month we're meeting in CAMBODIA for some virtual painting fun via Google Street Views. Here's a direct link to the visual I've decided to paint: https://goo.gl/maps/XJpdfDSAos52

Google Maps, Cambodia

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about friendly conversation here at A-Street-View-A-Day :) I'd love to hear your travel stories & art thoughts!