Thursday, July 14, 2016

Remembering (Cambodia), 58

The Finished Painting  
As I was painting, I remembered some helpful words I heard in a portrait tutorial video by Stan Miller: "...choose a color that matches the value of your shape... can be any color you want... doesn't matter what color you use... even though we're painting a face, doesn't matter... but get the values right...'

I'm very pleased with this painting. I think I did this lovely young woman justice.
"Remembering" is for sale, with more photos too: https://www.etsy.com/listing/466058661

REMEMBERING (Cambodia), 8x10" oil painting by puci


Visual Inspiration
Still in Cambodia, I was in search of a relatively clear face on Google Street Views to use as a jumping-off point to practice my human portraiture. After about an hour, I conceded to one that was blurry yet inspiring. The really inspiring image was the one I found online of this woman (credit: Jacek Piwowarczky). The lighting, her 3/4 angle pose, her natural beauty & her troubled-yet gentle expression are wonderful.

Cambodia is a country struggling to heal from a horrific history. The 1970's torture & genocide of up to 3 million people are atrocities not to be forgotten.
Cambodian woman, Google Street View
Cambodian woman, photo: Jacek Piwowarczky


The Destination
Traveling with The Virtual Paintout group to find inspiring images on Google Street Views to transform in to original paintings. This month we're meeting in Cambodia for some virtual "real life" painting. This is my 2nd painting in Cambodia. Here's a direct link to the spot where I found inspiration to paint: https://goo.gl/maps/rqN7miFXUSp
Google Maps, Cambodia
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about friendly conversation here at A-Street-View-A-Day :) I'd love to hear your travel stories & art thoughts!