Friday, February 28, 2014

Red Umbrella, 32

day 5: a day (or more) of rest

“I am just a tiny person in Africa, but there is a place for me, and for everybody, to sit down on this earth and touch it and call it their own.” ~Alexander McCall Smith, The No. 1 Ladies' Dectective Agency


day 4: the finished painting
So many color value choices. I could've turned up the warm color tones a notch to give the painting more heat; but this is good too. The strong & long shadows suggest very late afternoon. I think the addition of the patch of grass/bottom left helps to direct the viewer's eye from place-to-place.

This painting is for sale in my online store (with more photos too): https://www.etsy.com/listing/181619617
RED UMBRELLA, 8x10" original oil painting by puci

day 3: creating the pre-painting composition (using Adobe Photoshop)
After cropping the image, I kept tweaking it to bring out the vibrancy of colors.


day 2: capturing the selected image
This is such a lovely & timeless scene, and one I almost missed because I was moving along the road so quickly. I think it was the bright red umbrella that caught my eye and prompted me to double-back and around again. Funny how our special places call to us...


day 1: planning the destination
We are going back to Southern Africa to check out the lovely & lively town of Gabarone made so wonderfully vivid in the novels by Alexander McCall Smith: http://www.alexandermccallsmithbooks.co.uk/no1/


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about friendly conversation here at A-Street-View-A-Day :) I'd love to hear your travel stories & art thoughts!